Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Memphis


So, last week my colleague, Jeff, and I flew into Memphis before driving down to Batesville, MS. We just flew into the airport, got a rental car, and hit the road. Nothing exciting. This week, though, we decided to mix it up a bit. We flew into Memphis, got a rental car... and that's where things got interesting. See, I had just reserved a mid-size car. I didn't request anything specific, just a mid-size car. So I get to the rental place, and I find that they are giving me a Mustang. A 2008, black Mustang. For the same money as a Taurus. Awesome. Then, Jeff and I take our ride and go to downtown Memphis. We had slabs of ribs for dinner at B.B. King's Blues Club, and then we checked out the action on Beale Street for a bit. It was fantastic. We were having dinner late enough that we got to catch some live bands, which is pretty much the only appropriate way to eat a place owned by a music legend. And as we were leaving, we drove by the Gibson guitar factory. Yeah, that Gibson. They were closed at 9PM on Sunday night, of course, but it was still pretty sweet. Yeah, we got into Oxford, MS a bit later than normal, but that's OK. I'll give up a couple hours of sleep for that kind of opportunity.

No comments: