Thursday, April 23, 2009

Monsters vs. Aliens

Last night I went to see the new Dreamworks flick Monsters vs. Aliens. I found it to be a perfectly serviceable piece of throw-away entertainment. I don't usually watch movies in theatres, but I can't do 3D in my home, so this was one I wanted to catch in a theatre. I sure paid for that privilege, dropping $10.75 to catch it in 3D. Luckily, the 3D was mostly good, and I can only remember one obvious "stupid 3D trick" where they intentionally throw something right at the viewer, in this case a rubber bouncy ball of the kind stuck on a string tied to a wooden paddle. The aliens were pretty serviceable, it obviously caricatures of various '50s era monster movie villains. My favorite was the B.O.B. the blob, and the scene where he tries to hit on a plate of jello is maybe the funniest in the whole movie. The rest of it is perfectly serviceable, though not great. I'm glad I saw it, but I can't say I'm eager to rush out and see it again, and it is definitely not one I feel any need to add to my collection when the DVD comes out.

No comments: