Saturday, April 28, 2012

History is Fun

The only thing that I knew I wanted to do today was go to Monticello.  I hadn't been there in at least four years, so I wasn't sure what would be different.  As it would turn out, more than I thought.  First, there is a nice little exhibit hall attached to the visitor's center complex with some interesting interactive exhibits.  My favorite part was the word tile thing on the floor, where a projector would slap a bunch of moving letters on the word, which would then move to the wall to make a quote from somebody relevant to that word.  Pretty interesting.

Also, I was sad to learn that the two huge trees flanking the rear of the house are both gone, victims of disease and storms.  As is my wont, I got there before 10AM and didn't leave until after 3:30PM.  I then visited a mountain-top orchard selling their own cider and apple butter.  After that I had to visit multiple grocery stores before I could successfully find some Dominion root beer.  I drank a bit of that stuff when I lived in Arlington.  Then I lucked into a really authentic Chinese restaurant, where I got a mix of really and really not healthy foods, and now to watch some playoff hockey.

No comments: