Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Bright Idea

The recent issue of Fast Company magazine had an article about flourescent lightbulbs that I found very interesting. Specifically, the fact that WalMart was really pushing them, and thereby driving down prices on flourescent bulbs, was very interesting. In fact, it was interesting enough that last weekend I drove to WalMart and dropped $30+ on some flourescent bulbs, which I have used to replace 8 of the bulbs in my house, including all of the living room lights and the lights in the guest bedroom. In the process, I have learned some things.

1. Flourescent bulbs are not exactly the same size as regular filament bulbs, and therefore you need to make sure that what you are buying actually fits the space you have. The larger wattage flourescent bulbs are larger than the lower wattage bulbs, whereas with standard bulbs they are all the same size whatever the wattage.
2. Flourescent bulbs are rated by their equivalent wattage, such that a "40" bulb is actually a 10 watt bulb, but gives the equivalent light of a standard 40 watt bulb. According to GE, anyway. My experience is that it is not equivalent to a 40, but is lighter, probably a 30 to 35. Since the actual wattage is so low, you could just buy the next rating up without any fire hazard, to get the equivalent light as your old bulbs.
3. Due to the difference in technology involved, flourescent bulbs take a few seconds to light up after you flip the switch, rather than than the instant on of traditional bulbs.

I still can't believe that they actually got me into a WalMart to buy something. I haven't done that in almost 3 years.

No comments: