Thursday, February 01, 2007

Working the Late(r) Shift

On my current project I am supporting a crew in Seattle, WA. Because they are two hours behind me, my standard working hours of 7 A.M. to 4 P.M. wasn't working, as that would leave them unsupported most of the afternoon. So, I have been coming in between 8:30 and 9:00 instead, and leaving from 5:00 to 6:00, depending on what is going on and how long a lunch break I take.

Because I have been getting to work no later than 7:15 for over three straight years, my body isn't necessarily handling the situation well. The first few days of this week, I kept waking up at 5:30 feeling like I was over-sleeping. I have tried combatting that by getting up at my normal time and then going to the gym to work out, but I usually have troubles working out early in the morning, as my brain is awake, but my body isn't used to having to lift heavy objects at 5:30, and doesn't really seem to like the concept.

So, I am still trying to figure out what to do. I hope that after a week or so my body will get used to the early morning workouts, and that I don't injure myself before then. I have to admit, it is nice to drive to work in day light, though. Sometimes in the winter I never see the sun, because sunrise is after I get to work and sunset is before I leave, but I won't have that problem with this project.

No comments: