Thursday, April 03, 2008

Monsoon Season

If I was a more enterprising man I'm sure I could look up statistics online to verify this claim, but I don't feel like doing that. Now that I have sufficiently prefaced this statement, I would like to state that I think this is the wettest firest three months of a year since I started living in St. Louis back in the '80s. It just won't stop raining. Granted, this isn't really a bad thing, as we were in drought last year, and we need to replenish the water table. It is getting ridiculous, though. The weather forecasters are saying we will get four inches of rain today and tomorrow. That is quite a lot. In fact, we are in what to this midwesterner feels like monsoon season. When I was in Seattle last week it rained most every day, but it was a misty rain for the most part, or it would last for an hour and then quit. This stuff here in Missouri is a hard rain that goes all day. Totally great for my grass seed, I know, but not so great for the psyche.

Also not great for the psyche, the St. Louis Blues are coming into the end of the season the way a runaway train does, with lots of wreckage and noise. They have been realistically out of the playoffs for the last two weeks, and may be setting records for finding ways to lose games they should win. There is no other way to put it, these guys are bona fide losers, because they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory almost every game. I would not want to be John Davidson this off season, trying to decide whose heads should roll to pay for this pathetic slide into a high draft pick. I was at the game on Saturday night against Chicago, and they were just bad, with almost the same players that looked so good in the first half of the season. They better figure out what happened, or they will see leakage in season ticket sales, for sure.

No comments: