Tuesday, March 17, 2009

My Huge Feet

I am a strange creature of habit. The last time I bought athletic shoes was March of 2006, when I was in Columbia, MO, on a business trip. So, three years later, I find myself in Columbia on another business trip, and what do I do? Why, go buy a new pair of athletic shoes, of course. I mean, it's what I do in March in Columbia, isn't it? Anyway, I had a new experience this time, something that has never before happened to me while buying shoes. Just like normal, my feet were measured, and both of them are size 8. Just like last time, I get a pair of Asics running shoes. Unlike last time, when I had size 8 shoes, this time the smallest size that fit me was a size 9 1/2. 9 1/2. This is craziness. Does Asics use crazy European shoe sizes? How on earth could my feet be too large for a 9, when the measuring device shows I'm an 8, just like it has for the last 18+ years? Insanity.

Or, maybe, since this is the first time I've purchased shoes since I started using the orthopaedic inserts to control my tendonitis, all shoes I buy from now one will be larger, since my foot is sitting on top of an extra insole? Whatever the reason, I'm kind of weirded out by it.

No comments: