Friday, October 08, 2010

No New Games - an update

At the beginning of July, I had decided that I was not going to buy any new games for the next six months, taking me through the end of the year.  I have enough games sitting in the basement that I haven't played a lot, so why get new ones just to stick them in the basement and not play them?  That was the logic, anyway.  It has been over three months since this experiment started, and I am proud to report that I have been "almost perfect" so far.  This past weekend was Archon, which has some room set aside for nothing but dealers to sell you stuff.  While I bought some books, the only new game I purchased was a gift for my friend George, so that doesn't count.  I did buy some special dice for the Arkham Horror board game, but that isn't buying an actual game, just an accessory which technically can be used with any game, so that also doesn't count.

Today, I bought some new games, and this is where the only breakdown has occurred.  Back in late June, I had received some American Express gift cheques from work as a "good job" reward.  I had never spent to date, and decided that I needed some new games.  This is perfectly acceptable per my rules because I'm  not spending my own money out of pocket, just using a gift cheque which was always intended for me to use for my pleasure.  So, I drove over to Game Nite and picked up an Arkham Horror expansion set, Pandemic, and TransAmerica.  Pandemic, especially, I am really looking forward to playing, as I have heard a lot of good things about it.  Unfortunately, with tax this cost a little over $100, which was the amount of the gift cheque I was using.  So, I did spend a bit of money out of pocket on new games, but it was totally unavoidable.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments: