Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Dragon Age

Right before Christmas I purchased a PS3.  One of the big reasons for doing so was that I really wanted a device that would allow me to stream films from Netflix right to my TV, which the PS3 does.  In addition, the PS3 is also a Blu-Ray player, and that would be useful, as well.  Granted, it is a video game system at heart, so I couldn't get no games for it.  I picked up three games for it within a week of getting the console, but roughly six weeks later I have still only played one of them, Dragon Age: Origins.

I think this might be the best electronic role-playing game I have ever played.  One sign of how much I like it is that I have over 50 hours logged in my first play through (still not done with it yet), and I already want to play it again with a different character to see what changes that results in.  See, the game allows the player a lot of freedom to make different decisions, such as where to go, what to do, who to allow in your group,etc.  Yes, you will always be working on the overall quest that the game revolves around (in that way it is different from the Elder Scrolls series, where you can happily ignore the underlying plot and just do your own thing) but the results of your conversations with various people and decisions you make can have a noticeable impact on how the story evolves.

And, you know, you get to stab monsters, which is pretty fun.  Let's not forget about that.

No comments: