Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Another sign I am getting old

Luckily, the sign this time does not involve any part of my body breaking down due to over-use. I was reading the April issue of Fast Company last night, when I came across an article about the problems with updating the case file system at the FBI. I used to work for the U.S. GAO, so I have some insider knowledge about the unique struggles related to large-scale government computer systems, so I can really understand these articles. It has also been, as of yesterday, exactly 3 1/2 years since I did that work, so I appreciate the opportunity to bring myself a little bit up to date on things.

What struck me, though, was when my old boss, Randy Hite, was quoted in the article. This was the first time I have ever come across a magazine article that involved a discussion with the man who signed off on my performance evaluations. It was one of those "hey, I know that guy!" moments. I have read articles (and seen TV interviews) involving people that I knew from GAO, but never before my immediate boss. This is how I know that I have officially "been around awhile." I have yet to determine if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

No comments: