Thursday, November 08, 2007

Does Your Name Determine Your Fate

I came across a rather fascinating article today that posits the theory that people's initials have an impact on the decisions they make. For example, if you first name begins with a "J" you are more likely to marry someone with that same first initial, to live in a town whose names starts with that initial, and so forth. Researchers also found a link between people whose names start with a "C" or "D" and them getting grades of that score in school. While I realize that there is actual study behind this, rather than it being pure supposition, I must admit that it seems rather daft. Just because a name might begin with "D" can't mean that I am more inclined to aim for that score in school, can it? And if I look at my own decisions in life, the only time this plays out is that when I moved to the Washington, D.C. area I lived in Arlington, VA. However, that was because it was the first place I found a suitable apartment within walking distance of a Metro station. Perhaps, however, I am just not really enamored with my own name, and therefore the link doesn't apply to me. In the end, I am forced to go back to my old statement: "I can't believe we actually pay people to do this for a living."

No comments: