Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Mashed Potato Bar

Greetings from the Adam's Mark hotel in Dallas, TX. I am here all week for training, provided by my company. We've probably got 1000+ people here in the conference center, learning how to do our jobs better. It is about as exciting as these kinds of things can get. Last night five of our partners from across the country formed a band and played songs for us, generally covers of songs from the seventies and early eighties, including the occasional song rewritten to make the lyrics more "relevant" for us as consultants. I'll let your imagination work with that one for a while. Then tomorrow I have the first of 3 exams I need to pass to become a Certified Internal Auditor, so once that is out of the way I will be able to actually relax and enjoy myself.

But none of that is what I wanted to write about. No, I want to write about something that I had never encountered before in my life, before last night. At dinner last night, the conference center had prepared for us a mashed potato bar. A dozen different mashed potato confections awaited our palates. There were garlic mashed potatoes, sour cream mashed potatoes, purple mashed potatoes (no, I don't want to know), sweet mashed potatoes, and the list goes on. It was very, very bizarre. Good (I had the sweet potatoes), but bizarre. They even scooped the potatoes into these fancy desert dishes like you would get raspberries and cream in. Totally crazy. Is this a "Dallas" thing? Does anybody know?

No comments: