Monday, December 14, 2009

I Have Already Forgotten How I Ever Lived Without It

So about six weeks ago I switched my TV provider from Charter cable to AT&T Uverse. Part of that included getting a DVR, as it is simply built into the signal box that AT&T gave me, and you can't even get a low grade service that doesn't include one. I wasn't sure that I would make much use out of the DVR, but after just a few weeks I am hooked and will have difficulty the rest of my life if I am ever without one. Like last night, I was watching the Premier League Review Show on Fox Soccer Channel. I have this program set to record every week, because some Sundays I have to travel for work and am unable to watch it. Since it was recording while I was watching it, I was able to simply pause the TV during the show when I wanted to go to the bathroom or get something to drink, and then resume it when I was ready to. I realize that other people figured out how awesome this is around 10 years ago, but that is really cool. Having a DVR has also solved some soccer game watching problems for me. See, when I had my standard Charter cable, it was fairly common for Arsenal matches to be shown at 10AM on Sundays. This meant that I had three options for handling my church/soccer scheduling woes:
  1. Go to church at 9:00 AM and miss the first few minutes of the game.
  2. Go to church at 10:45 AM and catch about the first 30 minutes of the game.
  3. Skip church entirely, thus being a dirty heathen, but a soccer enjoying one.
Now that I have a DVR, though, I can just record the game and watch it after church! Amazing! See, having a DVR assists in your personal spiritual growth! AT&T, feel free to quote me on that in your marketing materials. All I ask in payment is a few free months of service.

No comments: