Monday, January 15, 2007

Surviving the Ice

We had another significant ice storm over this past weekend, though it wasn't as bad as the one we had in early December. Things are worse off to our southwest, for sure. Here in St. Louis we didn't get all that much ice, and only about 150,000 people lost power. I know that looks like a lot, but it was four to five times that many people without power during the previous storm, so it looks pretty good in comparison.

On the church front, things have been quite interesting. I have my first single adult ministry meeting this coming Sunday, and it will be good to finally get involved in that. The church has also found itself in the hole financially, as giving last year was not as much as had been budgeted, with a variance in the six figures. This has led them to lay off some staff, with a mix of pastors and administrative staff being shown the door. Needless to say, this has caused some consternation among some people. I didn't know any of the people who got laid off, nor did I attend the informative meeting a couple weekends ago where the head pastor discussed the situation with everybody, but from what I heard the mood was rather ugly. I will admit that it looks fishy when you lay off a bunch of people one week, and then the next week in the Sunday bulletin you advertise for a new part-time position. Maybe it is just bad timing, but if we are having to lay off people because there is no money, then why are we hiring new people? It makes no sense, but I didn't go to the informational meeting, so maybe I just don't have all the information. It is definitely like the old Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times." Indeed.

No comments: