Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Business of Hockey

I just got done with 3 hours of NHL draft coverage on OLN. The last time I watched the NHL draft was 10 years ago, 1996, when the draft was in St.Louis and I actually went to the arena to watch the draft in person. I believe that I cared much more this year then I did 10 years ago. The Blues were so bad this year that they locked up the first pick, and in fact that had 3 in the top 31. Considering that they need help pretty much in every position, I hope that these guys can really make a difference in two to three years.

I must admit that I was surprised at myself for staying on the couch for all 3 hours. I did notice that I took much more interest in all of the wheeling and dealing then I usually do. I found the Demitra trade between the Kings and the Wild to be quite interesting, potentially the biggest surprise of the day. There is still more movement that will be made among teams, I'm sure, so it should be a very interesting off-season.

No comments: