Friday, June 09, 2006

Hanging out in New Mexico

I flew into Albuquerque, New Mexico yesterday for my late spring vacation, and I have been thoroughly enjoying myself. It has been over four years since I last visited. I am spending a few days with my Aunt Jane and Uncle Sam, and on Sunday I will get to see Paul and Mandy Herzog, old friends of mine from our university days. Yesterday was pretty uneventful for the most part; just me flying into town and my brother Mark arriving by train (a whole day late, but that is his story to tell), though I did put in 1 1/2 hours of hiking around the base of the Sandia mountains. Today we took the tram to the top of the Sandias and spent about 4 hours hiking across the ridge line and down the ski slopes. The weather was great and the views were spectacular, so it was very good. We didn't get to do all that we wanted, because many of the hiking trails are closed due to "extreme fire hazard" because New Mexico gets pretty much no rain. Unfortunate, but safety comes first. Tomorrow we will be heading north to some waterfall that my aunt really likes. Hopefully the trails won't all be closed up there, too.

No comments: