Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Not the way I wanted it, but...

...Getting a new computer sure is fun. I ordered my new one from Dell over the weekend. My old computer was a Dell, and outside of the fatal hard drive problem it was always a good computer, very stable, and it just ran really well. So, I'm getting another one. Because my company audits Dell's financials, and does Michael Dell's personal tax return, they let us in on their employee purchase plan. I only saved 4%, but that's better than saving 0%, so I'll take it. I can't really say I saved anything, though, as I just used that money to buy Paint Shop Pro pre-installed on the computer. Where I am really saving money is through a program run by Microsoft. I am not buying any office productivity software for my new computer. Instead, I am getting a full copy of Microsoft Office 2003 for only $20.78, including tax and shipping. Sweet! It's a deal where I can buy software I have on my work computer (like MS office) for only a $19.99 "fulfillment fee." This is saving me over $200, which is a really sweet deal. My new computer will most likely arrive while I am Tampa late next week. Once I get it up and running I will let you know how much I like it.

Oh, I forget to mention that my new computer will come with a dedicated RAID array so that my primary hard drive is constantly backed up to a shadow drive inside the unit. This should keep me from being sidelined by a hard drive failure again, as it will just switch over to the other drive in that case.

No comments: