Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Financial news makes you crazy

One of my bad habits is an uncontrollable urge to check business news and stock indecis multiple times per day. Usually we rely on news to inform us, but the business press is mostly just insane. For evidence, I submit this article headline I saw on MSNBC today: "Strong economic data pull stocks lower." Does that make any sense to you? Shouldn't strong economic performance raise stocks? Ah, but this is the bizarro world of American finance, where strong performance means the Fed might raise interest rates, which is bad, so stocks go down. Conversely, if economic performance was weak stocks would rise, because that means that the Fed might not raise interest rates any more. It's all counter intuitive, but that's the stock market for you.

The obvious answer to my problem would be to ignore the business press entirely, but I derive too much pleasure from reading bad news about companies I don't like for me to give it up. It's just making me crazy.

No comments: