Monday, May 08, 2006

Looking at the past to understand the future

I have actually been enjoying the ongoing immigration debates. For years I have been wondering when the millions of illegal immigrants would decide that they didn't want to live in limbo for forever and take a shot at legality without jumping through the standard hoops. I am actualy undecided, personally, on the whole amnesty thing, and I can see the benefits and problems on both sides. However, when conservative politicians foam at the mouth and try to pass obviously useless legislation to "kick out" all illegal immigrants, you start to wonder if they know anything about history and the way that immigration has worked in America in the past.

I found an article in today's Washington Post that I thought was pretty good. You can also find the article at MSNBC, if you don't want to register at the Post's website. It is always good to check and see if you are just trying to repeat the past, rather than actually work towards a better future. Not that congress pays attention to any of that.

No comments: