Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Goin' South

So yesterday I added another US state to my list, as I flew in to Tampa Bay, FL. I am here for a work project. I have never been to Florida before, and from the little I have seen so far, I can say that Tampa is everywhere else in America, but with palm trees. It is just strip malls and chain stores as far as the eye can see. Maybe the beach front isn't like that, but here in Brandon (a suburb, I guess) it is generic Americana writ large.

The flight in was interesting, though. I am used to always flying over land, but this time we actually flew over the Caribbean for a while, so I got to see actual water. Interestingly enough, the water changed color the closer we got to land, and in some parts it was pretty bright green, like a powdered sencha. Interesting. It's probably all natural, but I don't think I would want to swim in the green stuff. On top of that, the flight was only 10 minutes late leaving St. Louis and it arrived on time, so that was great, and I slept about 1/3 of the trip, which is also great. Sleeping always helps the trip go faster.

The only annoying thing about Tampa so far is the way their airport is laid out, which is really confusing. For example, they have 2 different luggage pickup areas, Red and Blue. I was in Red, and needed to go to Blue to meet a coworker coming in from Ohio. These areas are on the same level of the airport, but to get from one to the other requires going up a flight of stairs, crossing the central open area, going up an escalator, and then taking an escalator down two stories. Why can't I just walk across to the other area? Why must I go up 2 stories just to come back down 2 stories? Very strange.

No comments: