Thursday, May 04, 2006

nextwave

The last time I was in my comic book store, I picked up a pretty new title by Marvel, nextwave. It's kind of a superhero book, but it really involves a team of people who used to be superheros, but now they are part of an anti-terrorism force, led by an insane guy, but it turns out that their anti-terrorism company was actually bought by terrorists in a hostile takeover on the stock market. It then proceeds to get stranger. That said, it is by far the best new comic I have read in a long time. Granted, the first issue has the tag line "healing America by beating people up," so you knew it was gonna rock.

Just to let you know that this isn't a standard comic story, here is some of the initial dialogue:
girl "So what made you want to be a super hero? Was it the clothes?"
guy "The mask, I guess."
girl "Why?"
guy "So I could hit people in the face really hard and run away and no one would know it was me."
girl "What was your super hero name?"
guy "Captain ****"
girl "You're kidding me."
guy "Nope. I was Captain ****."
girl "Why, for God's sake?"
guy "Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly? Hell, no. Captain ****. I met Captain America once. He asked me what my name was."
girl "And you said Captain ****."
guy "Man, he beat seven shades of it out of me. Left me in a dumpster with a bar of soap shoved in my mouth."

That, my friends, is a great way to start your comic book making fun of comic books. Brilliant stuff.

And because I can't leave well enough alone, here is more brilliant dialogue:

different girl "Shouldn't we be using codenames? Maybe I should be calling you--"
different guy "Machine Man? My name's Aaron Stack. Aaron is fine."
different girl "In the Avengers, we all had codenames. Maybe we should keep them."
different guy "What's the point? Besides, do you really want to keep your super hero name? "Photon" doesn't strike fear into the hearts of men, surely. 'Hello, I am a tiny insignificant particle. Put down your guns or I'll bounce off of you undetectably.'"

No comments: